DIY: Canvas Wall Sign

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I've said this before, but I'm just not much of a DIY girl. I can do a few projects here & there, but I've found that if I can buy it elsewhere, it's usually not worth my time. SO, when I'm considering a DIY project, I think about cost, I think about if it's really worth my time, and I consider where else I can find something similar. The last couple projects were done purely out of necessity, cases where I could't find what I was looking for. Enter this project. 

I was on hunt for something pink & fun to hang above Bellamy's bed, and was having no luck. I found a couple that I liked, but the size was too small or the words were totally corny ...  why does kids stuff have to be so dorky sometimes?! SO, I had a vision of what I wanted & set out to make it. 

Here's what you'll need if you want to do the same! 


Large Canvas Sign
Roll of uncoated canvas // scissors // RIT fabric dye in color of your choice // Carbon paper // printer // pencil // small paintbrush & non-washable paint (I just buy a sample jar of paint in whatever color I'm using, from Home Depot) 

1. Roll out your canvas and cut to desired size. I cut Bellamy's to be 3' x 4' 
2. You can either fully dye the fabric, or dip-dye like I did. Follow the instructions on the RIT fabric to dye/wash your canvas. To dip dye, just soak the fabric in sections,  instead of throwing it all in at once. 
3. Once your canvas is washed & dryed, you'll want to make sure it's completely wrinkle free by ironing or steaming. 
4. (SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU'RE A BOSS AT FREE-HAND LETTERING) 
On your computer, using photoshop, word or whatever program you're comfortable in, type out the letters you'll use (1-2 per page). Make sure they're all sized correctly - this part takes some measuring. I measured the entire width of my sign, and divided it by the amount of letters I was using, being sure to take spacing into account. One you've sized them correctly, go ahead & print each letter. 
5. Arrange them on your sign and secure each one with a piece of tape - only at the top. 
6. Slide a piece of carbon paper underneath your first letter, and use a pencil to trace the letter. The carbon paper will transfer to the canvas and voila, you'll have your first letter ready to paint. Make sure to check before you move things around, as sometimes it takes a couple traces to get it visible enough. Repeat this step until all your letters are finished. 
7. Using your paint & paintbrush, paint over your letters (it doesn't have to be perfect, as the canvas will hide some of the imperfections). 
8. Let it dry, and it's ready to hang! I just used thumb tack to hang ours, but you could also roll the top over a dowel and secure using hot glue. Tie some twine or rope around your dowel and hang accordingly! 

This project probably took me two hours total, and makes such a fun & easy way to make a statement.  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...